Steel is one of the most widely used materials in the world. It offers the strength, structure and durability necessary to create everything from towering skyscrapers to industrial equipment. Regardless of the application, though, steel goes through a number of processes and treatments before it’s suitable for its intended use. One of the most important aspects of steel preparation is steel cutting in San Francisco, CA. While steel cutting is often done with heated tools and machines, many people choose water jets to cut their steel. Here are a few of the reasons why it’s worth it to consider water jet steel cutting over your other options:
- Precision: One of the most significant benefits of water jet cutting is the fact that it is incredibly precise. Water jet cutters can deliver incredible accuracy even when producing complex designs. They can also produce virtually any shape, including sharp corners, bevels and pierced holes. In many cases, water jet cutting is so accurate that no secondary processing is required for the finished component.
- No material heating: Heat-based cutting methods can be problematic for steel components because of how heat affects the material. Exposure to heat can lead to hardening and fundamental changes to the nature of the steel. At worst, these changes in the structure of steel can lead to weak points that are more susceptible to breakage and inhibit the proper functioning and performance of the component.
- Less waste: Water jet cutting is considered to be incredible eco-friendly and low-waste. Because water jet cutting is so precise, it doesn’t create a lot of grindings or chips. In addition, water jet cutting is done without the use of harmful chemicals and treatments that release pollutants into the atmosphere and contaminate water sources. Any raw materials that are left behind as a byproduct of the cutting process can be reused for numerous other applications.
- Versatility: Water jets can cut in any direction on virtually any material. Water jet cutting has become a popular option for everything from artistic displays to industrial machinery components because of how versatile it is. This method gives the producer of the component much more control over the finished product, and lots of freedom to be creative.
- Time: Water jet cutting is a speedy cutting method that doesn’t require a lengthy cool down process. In fact, some materials can be cut at speeds of up to several hundred feet a minute, making water jet cutting one of the fastest cutting methods out there.
If you want to find out more about all of the benefits of water jet steel cutting in San Francisco, CA, reach out to the team at Mach 1 Waterjet, Inc. For over 20 years, our family owned and operated company has proudly served the community with premier water jet cutting services for a wide array of different applications and materials. To find out whether we can help you with your particular project, or to get started with a service quote, give our team a call today.